The Special Olympics World Summer Games will be held from June 12th to 25 in Berlin, Germany. It will be the largest inclusive event in the world. The Kateryna Biloruska Foundation will ensure the participation of the Ukrainian national team and an athlete from Cyprus in the Special Olympics to support young athletes and coaches and show the importance of supporting sports for people with disabilities.
Cooperation with Special Olympics Cyprus
On June 1st, the President and members of the Board of Directors of the Cyprus Special Olympics invited the founder of the charity Foundation Kateryna Biloruska to a press conference dedicated to this year’s Special Olympics World Summer Games and a delegation from Cyprus.
Since January 2023, the Foundation has been supporting the Cyprus Special Olympics. In cooperation, we opened a horseback riding group for children with mental disabilities.
“Thanks to our cooperation with the Cyprus Special Olympics, children with special educational needs are involved in sports and physical activity,”
– said Kateryna Biloruska, founder of the Foundation.
For the World Games, the Foundation took a young athlete Niki Theodorou under its care as part of the “Adopt an athlete” project and ensured her participation in the Special Olympics in Berlin this year.
The Foundation covers the costs of travel, accommodation, and participation in the Special Olympics World Games so that she can become one step closer to her dream.
KB Foundation will support the participation of the Ukrainian national team in the Special Olympics
Kateryna Biloruska Foundation signed a memorandum with the Special Olympics of Ukraine in May 2023. This cooperation will expand assistance to children with disabilities.
On May 31st, the Foundation’s director, Anzhela Fokina, attended a press conference dedicated to the Special Olympics World Games in Kyiv. The Foundation will provide participation, travel, accommodation, and meals for the Ukrainian national team at the Games in Berlin. The official delegation consists of 36 people.
“Our national Special Olympics team will be a shining example of sports achievements. We are proud of every athlete who will represent Ukraine and Cyprus in Berlin. Their participation is already a victory,”
– said Anzhela Fokina, Director of the Kateryna Biloruska Foundation.
It is very important for the Foundation’s team to support the athletes of Ukraine and Cyprus and to introduce the public to the heroes who will represent these countries at the Special Olympics World Games.
Special Olympics World Games
- Special Olympics is an international organization that organizes sports events for people with intellectual disabilities.
- Special Olympics World Games take place every two years and alternate between Summer and Winter Games, a schedule similar to the Olympics and Paralympics. Attracting as many as 350,000 volunteers and coaches, plus several thousands of athletes, these World Games can be the world’s largest sporting event of the year.
- From 17 to June 25th 2023, Berlin, Germany will welcome 7,000 Special Olympics athletes and Unified partners from approximately 190 countries to compete in 26 sports. The athletes will be supported by more than 3,000 coaches and 20,000 volunteers.